Skip to main content

Child Support Law

Search for an Attorney  

What Can I Do If My Spouse Refuses To Pay Support?

You can make your spouse appear before the court. Once there, the judge may find your spouse in contempt of court and your spouse may be put in jail or fined. The judge may issue a wage assignment and garnish your spouse’s paycheck. In doing so, then the support payments are taken directly out of your spouse’s paycheck. The court may also levy or take your spouse’s property such as real estate or bank accounts. In addition, if your spouse fails to pay child support for one year or more or the amount of back support owed is greater than $5,000.00 or your spouse has moved outside of Oklahoma, the District Attorney’s Office may file criminal charges.